I am eager to get down to the business of Oliver de la Paz's 2015 summer reading challenge. Here's how it works:
- Pick 15 books that you would like to finish this summer--any genre, any size. This list doesn't have to be at 15 right from the start. It will grow as the summer continues.
- Of the 15 books, designate 3 that you recommend to co-participants. (After you've read them, of course).
- Of the 15 books, 3 of the books must be from recommendations by other participants.
- Post your 15 book list somewhere with a link so that co-participants can link you on their webpages, tumblr pages, or blogs.
- Hold yourself accountable by posting commentary about a book you've just read. Commentary can also take the form of something creative or artistic.
- The Challenge Ends August 31st. Have fun.
Here's my list, so far... I still need one to round it out (though Repast is really three books in one, so).
Decomp – Stephen Collis & Jordan Scott (Coach House, 2013)
Things Seen – Annie Ernaux (Bison Books, 2010)
Sula – Toni Morrison (Knopf, 1973)
Repast: Tea, Lunch, and Cocktails – D.A. Powell (Graywolf, 2014)
Charming Gardens – David Biespiel (University of Washington, 2013)
Things To Do With Your Mouth – Divya Victor (Les Figues, 2014)
After-Cave – Michelle Detorie (Ahsahta, 2014)
The Interrogative Mood – Padgett Powell (Ecco, 2010)
Excluded – Julia Serano (Seal Press, 2013)
Binary Star – Sarah Girard (Two Dollar Radio, 2015)
Bad Feminist – Roxane Gay (Harper Perennial, 2014)
Notes from No Man’s Land – Eula Biss (Graywolf, 2009)
The Empathy Exams – Leslie Jamison (Graywolf, 2014)
My Body is a Book of Rules – Elissa Washuta (Red Hen, 2014)
Some of the other participants and lists so far: